Sidor

torsdag 2 april 2020

Daily routines in a time of crisis

Let us be clear here: I am not going to talk about the corona virus in this blog. Not that much, at least. It is a harrowing experience for all of us, and we are all dealing with it the best way we can.

And that is what I am going to talk about, here. What I do to deal with it. Because, let's face it, people: I may not have been the sanest person on God's green earth to begin with, and a global fucking pandemic causing widespread death and isolation does not really do wonders for my mental health. 

So let us focus on the things that do, shall we?

If anything, I have noticed that my daily routines have become more... Organized, during this crisis. Yes, I am one of the privileged ones who actually can work from home, and I do that now – I have been at it almost every day since this crisis began here in Finland, working at the local newspaper Vasabladet. You should check it out. For real.


But my daily routines help me stay in touch with things. 

I sleep. I prioritize my sleep and actively try to calm myself down by not engaging with my phone late at night. It is hard, I know, and sometimes I fail. Soothing music helps me fall asleep, I have noticed. 

I eat well, every day. I strive to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner each day, and oftentimes I make food myself – a habit I really like. There is great magic in food, I have come to realize. 

I mean, come on, look at this beauty.

I walk to and from work each day – that is, before I start working I take a quick walk or run around the neighborhood, and then I return to my home office. Same thing when I quit for the day. Walking, or running, really gets the mind in motion.

I meditate. Granted, I have been meditating for a while, but often I have neglected that practice. Now, for the past week, I have been adamant on keeping up a meditation practice each day. And it... Really helps. My mind feels calmer than before, and that is saying something. 

How do you keep calm and collected during these trying times?

4 kommentarer:

  1. I am really glad that you manage to keep routine while working from home. I am actually struggling a little but this week I feel like I have started getting the hang of it.

    I really like the idea of "walking to and from work". Myself I have started placing the articles or books I need to read close to my bed so that I can reach for them first thing in the morning. I feel at my most productive just then. It will be interesting to see how these new routines form and solidify - and scary to see what happens when we are finally supposed to return to normalcy. But adjustment is in human nature, I guess, so we always adjust to new situations.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Indeed! I am glad that you have found a way that fits you, and I hope that it will serve you well :) I am also glad that you have realized that mornings work for you. I am personally more of an evening person :)

      Radera
  2. Bra att man kan se något sorts positivt i situationen också :) Jag försöker hitta de små guldkornen och ta det med så mycket ro som man nu kan. Jag har alltid uppskattat naturen men jag gör det om möjligt ännu mer nu, så länge vi får röra oss i den :)

    SvaraRadera
  3. Maybe the "walk to work" thing would work (haha!) for me! I find that it's a very high figurative threshold to get out of my apartment (that's one reason I love the countryside and our summer cottage - going out in the yard is no big deal what so ever). I try to do morning yoga a couple of days per week, but usually my working day just starts whenever I'm done scrolling through my feeds ...

    SvaraRadera